Wednesday 26 March 2014

Door Signage For A School-Themed Cafe !

We're talking about 'school' today. Here's a throwback picture of me from 2009!

A couple of months back, there was a request to make a door signage for a new cafe! It's a school-themed cafe named Ecole P.
My customer is a friend of the cafe's owner and thought it'd be a lovely gift! Customized and more "schooly" than those made outside I suppose. I have never done a signage nor a school-themed project before, so it was pretty exciting to try it out!

For the base of the signage, I got a regular flat cardboard piece and covered it in different shades of brown clay. Then, I used a tool to scrape the unhardened clay to make it seem like it's made of wood.
 It looks like it's really made of wood doesn't it? I covered one side and left it to dry. Then, I moved on to the name of the cafe. I drew out how I'd like the words "Ecole P" to look with some school-themed items like pencils, erasers and so on.

There was an empty pen shell which I almost threw away that morning and decided to recycle it by wrapping beige clay around its body to make a clay pencil for the very first letter in 'Ecole P'. I wrapped quite a huge chunk of clay around the pen shell.
Folded in the excess where the pencil 'head' will be, and cut off the back end.
 Then I proceded to making the triangle part of the pencil head with the black lead tip.
 To cover the 'neckline', I did long strips of red and yellow pieces of clay for the pencil body and wrapped the whole thing piece by piece.
 I think it turned out really nice. I tried to add an eraser at the back end, but it looked a little funny so I removed it. To complete the E in "Ecole P", I made little crayons! I loved using crayons as a kid, but then learned to dislike it when I grew up and preferred to have clean hands. Whoops!
 Different colours for each piece. The excess clay was trimmed and I painted the word 'CRAYON' with black acrylic paint. Aren't they adorable?
 The "C" took me pretty long to figure what stationary I could use to resemble it. But I finally decided on making a stapler!
 (I won't go through every single item.)
What lined up next was an eraser, a ruler, a bent paperclip and a scissors with one side larger than the other to show the 'P'. The 'e' took me a while to figure what I could use too. Luckily, there was a few lying on my desk which sparked the idea.
 To hook the signage up, I braided 3 brown strings together to form a little rope. Superglue came in handy and the back of the signage was also covered it in clay.
 
 When it's all covered, it was scraped for that wooden effect once again.
This whole piece is to make the signage nicer as well as to hold the strings in place. I sure hope they don't fall off!
 The customer wanted something that writes 'Welcome To Ecole P' 
and so, I came up with this red piece just drapped on the top right of the signage. I think it fits in pretty well. I used white acrylic paint to add the word "Welcome to".
 (I actually forgot to take a photo of the completed signage with the red piece that says "Welcome to")
Opps. Oh well! I believe you can use your super magnificent brain power to imagine it there!
And so, that's it! The new mini door signage for Ecole P is done!

If you'd like to visit Ecole P, the details are at the bottom of this post!

Do also check out my :
1) Facebook "BoxOfHobbies"
2) Instagram @Craftysupermom


Ecole P
First Floor, 19, Jalan SS21/37, Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Open 11am-10pm, except Thursdays.
Tel: 03-7732-9711

No comments:

Post a Comment